Spring Sports Wrap Up

Sam Baskies, Staff Writer

All of the Haddonfield sports teams this year had great seasons in the Spring. Whether it’s baseball, golf, crew, boys tennis, track, boys and girls lacrosse teams, HMHS athletes scored.

In baseball, The boys won 15 games and lost 7. They made the playoffs but lost in the 3rd round. Dane Samartino was the only Haddonfield player to make the Liberty Division first team. He had a 1.90 earned run average through 48 innings pitched to go along with 64 strikeouts. Bruce Parker and Nick Turnage made the second team. Turnage led Haddonfield in home runs with two and he also led Haddonfield in Runs batted in doubles, runs, and at-bats. Haddonfield has a great future to look forward to with many sophomores and freshmen that made the varsity team. Sophomores joining varsity include Griffin Clarke, Martin Foust, and Leo Nelson alongside freshmen Timmy Bowman and Tommy Grookett.

The Haddonfield golf team had 16 wins and 2 losses. They had 5 golfers make the colonial conference tournament which is the biggest tournament that we can qualify for. Matt Morris, Joe Scocca, Sam Narduci, Reed Wixted, and Zach Langan. The golf team won many tournaments this year, and you can see the trophies in Mr. Scorsolini’s classroom.

The crew team also did very well. The girls’ varsity four-boat and the girls’ junior varsity boats made the Scholastic National in Tennessee. The guy’s junior varsity boat finished 10th in the New Jersey state race with all 4 of them being sophomores, including Sam Baskies, Nathan Hazlett, Chase Vanarsdalen, and Dayne Shields. Elizabeth Barker led the girls’ varsity 4 boat. Barker is now graduating and going to row for Fordham University. Everyone is looking forward to having a great year next year.

The boys tennis team also had a great season. The boys had 19 wins and 9 losses on the year. They finished second in the Liberty division. Haddonfield won their 20th consecutive final. They were also the South Jersey Group 2 champions. They were led by Chase Degillio, Asher Fred, and Matt Murshell. They lost the state Group 1 championship to their rival Haddon Township.

The girls and boys track teams did very well. The girls were led by Audrey Adams, Chloe Kamp, Ava Thomas, Grace Malcarney, Emalie Stanilla, Moira Geiger, Nicolette Pinkerton, and Anna Stolarick all led Haddonfield’s PR times and distances for this year. Then on the boys side, they were led by Gabe Blum, George Andrus, Vincent Washington, Kai Richards, Beckett Doyle, Nathan Field, Bennett Wright, Chris Clax, and Alex Hurley. They made it to the NJSIAA State Meet Of Champions 2023 and to, NJSIAA Group Championships – 2 – 3.

The boys and girls lacrosse also had a good season. The boys team finished with a record of 11 wins and 6 losses. They finished second in the American division. Blaise Coley led the team in goals with 35, Nolan Tully led the team in assists with 13, and Marcus DeVita led the team in points (goals+assists) with 42. They made it to the NJSIAA Tournament, Semifinal Round, South Jersey, Group 1. The girls team finished with a record of 16 wins and 5 losses. Stella Stolarick led Haddonfield in goals, assists and points. They made it to the NJSIAA Group Tournament, Final Round, Group 2. And they had 7 players make the WLCSJ ALL-SOUTH JERSEY TEAMS. Lexi Gwaku won goalie of the year, Stella Stolarick made all first team, Chloe Gwaku made all second team, Ava Keenan and Carolyn Carson got honorable mentions.

If you look across the board of spring sports teams, you can tell that all of the spring sports are thriving and have great potential with current freshmen, juniors and seniors. Most of the seniors this year are going on to play their respective sport in college.