Spirit Week 2015 Preview

Izzy Miller, Staff Writer

Freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors, Haddonfield Memorial High School’s annual tradition, Spirit Week, is just around the corner! This competition, which pits grades against each other, is a favorite of many students and teachers. Throughout the week, challenges and other events are counted for points, which, when added up, determine the champion of the year.

The festivities begin with a game of Powder Puff football on the night of November 18th at the stadium. Junior and senior girls battle for the win. The following night, the Spirit Week Dance is hosted in the B gym from seven to nine thirty. The attendance of each grade is counted for points in the contest.

The next Monday, November 23rd, sees the official kick off of Spirit Week. That morning before school, the Golden Bulldawg hunt has students race around the school in a search for paper printouts of bulldogs. Different colors are worth a different amount of points and bad sportsmanship results in penalties. Later that day, the canned good drive and penny count begin and continue until the end of Tuesday. From five to eight PM that night, the scavenger hunt, which begins at the school, has students fetch a variety of items and perform challenges. In past years, students have had to fetch VHSs of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and Green Ox Uglydolls, memorize and perform part of Matthew McConaughey’s Oscar speech, and dress as Elsa, Olaf, Sven, Anna, and Hans and present a frozen Fudgcicle and snowball to the judges. It is helpful to have a viable method of transportation.

The following day, students ready their hallways for viewings, which take place that night for the judges and the public.

Lastly, on Wednesday, November 25th, Spirit Week culminates in a half day with a pep rally held after shortened classes. Contests there include volleyball, noise making, and tug of war. Following these events, the winner of Spirit Week is announced, and students are then released to Thanksgiving and a four day weekend.

For more information, students should refer to their grade’s official social media page.