Essential Fall Activities

Izzy Miller, Staff Writer

pumpkinsEssential Fall Activities

Izzy Miller 18

With the arrival of crisp fall air and vibrant foliage, HMHS students can expect an influx of pumpkin spice lattes, cozy sweaters, and local autumnal activities. Here is a roundup of activities to make the most of the new season.

1. Round up friends to go apple picking at a local farm. Johnsons Corner Farm, which is located in Medford, New Jersey, about twenty-five minutes from the high school, offers apple picking hayrides from September fifth to October twenty-fourth. Hayrides are four dollars per person and self-picked apples are one dollar and eighty-nine cents per pound. Pumpkin pie, apple pie, caramel apples, and cider donuts are available for purchase at the farms market.

2. Visit a haunted corn maze. Night of Terror, in Mullica Hill, New Jersey, a thirty-five minute drive from Haddonfield, is one of New Jerseys top haunted attractions. Their cornfield maze is the largest in the Philadelphia region and their haunted hayride was featured on HGTVs Scariest Haunted Houses. Tickets are available on weekends and some weekdays in October and cost thirty to thirty-five dollars depending on the day.

3. Attend the Harry Potter Festival in Chestnut Hill. On October sixteenth and seventeenth the Chestnut Hill neighborhood in Philadelphia will host witches, wizards, and muggles for a weekend of magic and festivities. On October sixteenth, Chestnut Hill College will hold a conference to explore the themes in the novels. And, the surrounding neighborhood will be transformed into Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley with themed food, shops, and costumes, all accessible to the general public.

4. Stop at the Haddonfield Fall Festival. On October seventeenth, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., downtown Haddonfield will feature crafter tents, the Pick-Up Band, carriage rides, scarecrow making, and more.

5. Watch a film at the Philadelphia Film Festival. Sponsored by the Philadelphia Film Society, the festival will take place from October twenty-second to November first. The festival features over two hundred films each year and promotes films that may otherwise not be seen at movie theaters. Movie Categories include American Indie, World Narratives, and Graveyard Shifts. Tickets will go on sale October fifth, and more information regarding the films can be found at filmadelphia.org.

Although HMHS studentsschedules are often packed with academic and extracurricular activities, everyone should fit some fall fun into their busy lives.