Earth Day Shines Spotlight on Environmental Science

Lili Ali, Editor

Skunks, owls and frogs, oh my! On April 29, the HMHS Environmental Science classes hosted an Earth Day fair in the high school courtyard. All students and staff were able to attend, as well as visitors from Haddonfield’s elementary schools and a couple of special guests from Cedar Wildlife Refuge in Medford, NJ. There were many informational and unique booths and activities, each having an emphasis on environmental justice and sustainability. 

Here is a sampling of the booths and topics presented at the fair:

• How to build your own rain garden
  • Sustainable coffee – reusable products and compost
  • Sustainable fashion –  making bracelets from old clothing
  • Pop up thrift store – all proceeds went to Fashion Revolution, a nonprofit promoting the sustainability of clothing
  • Reusable bags
  • Eco-friendly pet toys
  • Damage caused by palm oil
  • Air pollution 
  • Paper drive – donate used paper to juniors Grace Monaghan and Eva Jacovini (remind code: text @236g23 to 81010)
  • Forest Conservation
  • Saving sea turtles by stopping ocean pollution 
  • Composting 
  • Growing your own herbs
  • Making paper
  • Live animals from Cedar Run Wildlife Refuge
  • DIY sugar scrubs and cosmetic sustainability 
  • Invertebrate biodiversity and a bug hotel
  • Insect lawn study and pesticide problem
  • Eating green (including a smoothie station!)
  • Cooper River water quality study
  • Superfund sites
  • GMO’s
  • Eco arts education 
  • Waste management

Students enjoyed learning about environmental sustainability in a fun, interactive way. Sophomore Kate Beatty describes her favorite part of the Earth Day celebration: “my favorite things about the Earth Day project was seeing my peers talk about what they’re passionate about and how it relates to saving the earth.”

Ultimately, the Earth Day Fair is essential in curating a positive, proactive environment that helps students share their insight into doing their part to save our earth. On a final note, AP Environmental Science teacher and Environmental Club supervisor, Mr. Smith, shares his thoughts about this year’s Earth Day Fair: “it is the goal that the exhibits staffed by the environmental students will inspire others to get involved and represent the potential good they can do when addressing environmental issues in their community.”