Madrigals Triumph at the PA Renaissance Fair

Lili Ali, Editor

On Thursday, October 7, The HMHS Madrigal Choir competed at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Fair. As this is my first year in Madrigals, it was definitely an adventure like no other, and I left with many new experiences. First, we embarked on a two hour bus ride to the fair and when we got there, there were people in costume directing us on where to go. Something that was fascinating was that all of the employees were dressed up and were always in character throughout the entire park. Next, the whole choir sat down to see a live performance of a period piece comedy including many historical figures such as William Shakespeare and Sir Walter Rowley. Additionally, the actors in the performance, all remaining in character, paraded around the park afterwards to take pictures with visitors. Afterwards, we warmed up and practiced our piece, “Il Est Bel Et Bon” by Pierre Passereau, before the competition. We watched other schools perform and then we performed as well. Mostly everyone, including myself, was nervous, but also excited to perform a song we all worked so hard on! Afterwards, we had two hours to explore the park before the results from the judges came out. There were many food shops including ones that sold turkey legs and macaroni and cheese, both favorites by the students. There were other live performances and shops selling trinkets like flower crowns, crystals, jewelry, and renaissance inspired clothing as well. Later, the results came out, and although we came in second place, we still all had an amazing time and performed spectacularly. Joseph Keegan (Grade 11) and Madrigals member since his sophomore year exclaimed, “The Renaissance Fair is always one of the most exciting events of the year! This year, I finally got to compete in the singing competition with the HMHS Madrigals for the first time ever! I loved how committed all of the actors are at the fair. Such a fun time, thank you Tmills!” Additionally, Sophie Levine (Grade 11), a new member this year, stated, “I thought it was so much fun! It was an experience different from anything I’ve ever done or seen before. It was so cool to see such dedication to character. The whole vibe was so light and happy, and the layout was so cute. I really felt like I was in the Renaissance! Plus, getting to sing competitively for the first time was such a thrill. I loved it!” Personally, I am so proud of us all as we worked incredibly hard, and I greatly enjoyed sharing this experience with my peers. I can not wait to return next year!