School-Wide Vaccination Effort a Success

Helene Usher and Lili Ali, Editors

Over the past few weeks, HMHS has offered students several opportunities to get vaccinated at the Virtua Vaccination Site in the Moorestown Mall. They took a monumental stride in preventing the spread of COVID, not just among HMHS, but in our entire community. Although the first two trips were only offered to those sixteen and older, the Pfizer vaccine has since been approved for people aged twelve and up, so the past two trips have been offered to many more students who meet the new age requirement. Ms. Reganata, the HMHS school nurse, chaperoned the vaccination processes along with other school administrators. We conducted a virtual interview with her via email to get her perspective on the vaccinations.

Questions:

1.What was the process of the vaccinations?

With the FDA’s authorization of the emergency use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 to youth ages 12 and over, the district established a partnership with the Burlington County Vaccination site coordinated by Virtua and arranged for Haddonfield Vaccination Days. Vaccine #1 for 15 and over was held on May 3rd, and Vaccine #1 for 12 and over at the high school was held on May 20th

2. Was the turn-out as expected?

Over 100 students participated in the event. And, over 70% of our high school has been vaccinated, which is incredible!

3. How do you feel this vaccination process is helping the community as a whole?

Vaccines not only protect yourself, but they protect the community. The concept of community immunity prevents large spread of this virus. And, it protects those who cannot be vaccinated, such as newborns or those who have compromised immune systems. 

4. How did you feel prior to getting your vaccine (nervous, excited, etc)? Did your feelings change after the fact?

As a healthcare professional, I was fortunate to have early access to the vaccine.  Receiving the vaccine provides a sense of safety for myself, my loved ones, and those with whom I interact on a daily basis. I also felt proud to be part of the process to increase the chance to control this virus and return to a healthier future. 

5. Where were the vaccinations held? 

Virtua Mega Site in the Moorestown Mall.