Sports Update

Sports+Update

Helene Usher, Editor

Although the winter sports season was shorter than usual this year due to the pandemic, it was still successful for all teams at HMHS! Despite a rough start due to a few players having to quarantine, the boys’ basketball team finished out their season with a record of 12-3. The girls’ basketball team went undefeated in the Colonial Conference and only lost to Cherokee, finishing with a 14-1 record overall. The boys’ swim team had an outstanding season with a near-perfect record, their only loss being to Cherry Hill East. Finally, both the boys’ and girls’ track and field teams went undefeated in each of their six dual meets, with several athletes on both teams running some top times in the state. One notable performance came from the girls’ 4 by 800 relay team of Allison Colflesh, Lindsay Colflesh, Olivia Stoner, and Payton Weiner, who clocked a US #3 time at the Ocean Breeze Elite Invitational on March 13! As they do every year, the boys’ and girls’ crew teams did not compete in any regattas and instead used the winter as an opportunity to train for their spring seasons. The NJSIAA mandated that wrestling could not begin until March 1, which is much later than usual. Due to the late start, the season does not end until April 25, which will be the state match. Although the wrestling team still has several more matches to compete in, it has had a successful season so far, with a record of 7-1 as of April 7. 

Most spring sports teams began in-person practices on April 1, except for the boys’ tennis team, who started practicing on March 26. Each day at 3:15 the boys’ and girls’ track teams are warming up on the track. After they leave, the lacrosse teams start their practices on the turf. The crew, baseball, softball, golf, and tennis teams do not practice at the school facilities, but they are outside working just as hard each day. This, along with the beautiful weather, has restored a sense of normalcy in our school that has not been felt in over a year. If things continue moving in the right direction and more people, especially students, get vaccinated, we are in for an exciting spring! Check out the athletics website, haddonfieldathletics.org, and follow @HMHSathletics on Twitter to keep up with the spring sports season!