Junior Courtenay Mackey Wins Federal Foreign Office Award

Kiki Shim, Contributing Writer

“I believe it is important to address climate change and the impact that a person can have. Additionally, I think that this is not a problem that can be solved by Americans alone, it has to be a global solution. That is why I wanted to address my concerns in a global competition.””

— Courtenay Mackey

Last spring, Courtenay Mackey participated in the e-book project “Ich habe einen Traum” – I Have a Dream“ organized by the Germany’s Federal Foreign Office. Her e-book was a long poem in German addressing challenges Courtenay’s generation is facing trying to protect the Earth from environmental catastrophes.

Usually, there is an event during the summer at the Federal Foreign Office in Berlin at which the new e-book is presented and the best contributions receive prizes. Due to the pandemic, the event is currently on hold. However, the e-book with Courtney’s poem will be published by Christmas.

Contributing writer Kiki Shim interviewed Courtenay:

1. What was the competition?

The competition was the Federal Foreign Office‘s ebook project “Ich habe einen Traum – I Have a Dream”. It is organized by Sophia Schroth & Petra Martenstein.

1. What did you write about?

I wrote a poem about my dream for the future of the world. It was focused on the climate change crisis. I wanted to focus on how different our world would be and all the things we would lose. For example, cities would be underwater, and some animals no longer here.

1. What was the process?

I was first given the task of writing a poem under the topic I have a dream during the Spring as our final project in German. We were tasked with writing and illustrating a book for the class. During the writing process, I struggled the most to address all the topics I wanted but also keep the poem rhyming in German. After I submitted it to class, Frau Feinleib suggested I submit it to the contest. I had to fill out a form and submit the poem via mail. Over 1,000 stories were submitted and the 3 best stories from each age group were selected (I was in the 16-19 group). The date for the award ceremony was pushed back a couple of times but is currently set to be in Berlin in February.

1. Why do you think it’s important?

I believe it is important to address climate change and the impact that a person can have. Additionally, I think that this is not a problem that can be solved by Americans alone, it has to be a global solution. That is why I wanted to address my concerns in a global competition.

• Applying to College in a Pandemic

Classroom Corner

Applying to College in a Pandemic

• Classroom Corner

Phase III Instruction Is Unfavorable to Students and Teachers Alike

• Artist and Holocaust Educator Gabriella Karin

Classroom Corner

Holocaust Survivor Shares Lessons That Resonate

• Students Win Awards on National German Exam

Classroom Corner

Students Win Awards on National German Exam

• Dawg Talks Recap

Classroom Corner

Dawg Talks Recap

• Classroom Corner

HMHS Science Students Participate in Rutgers Symposium

• The 2020 Madrigals Singers pose in front of Christ the King Church

Arts & Leisure

Madrigals’ Dessert Theater Serves Up the Best

• Midterms Reimagined

Classroom Corner

Midterms Reimagined

• Dawg Talks Moving to Youtube

Classroom Corner

Dawg Talks Moving to Youtube

• Spotlight On: Ms. Malvey

Classroom Corner

Spotlight On: Ms. Malvey

Activate Search
The Student News Site of Haddonfield Memorial High School