Wellness Day Shines Even in Rain

Peer Leaders preparing fresh, healthy foods at Wellness Day

Payton Weiner, Staff Writer

Each year, the peer leaders of HMHS organize a day which is dedicated to aiding the well-being of students. Despite the disruption of thunder and rain, students flooded the turf field when the weather permitted to participate in the various outdoor activities. Wellness Day allowed students to be able to take a break from classes so they had the opportunity to destress and enjoy time outdoors with their friends.

There were many games set up across the field for students to compete against their friends. Many students noted that their favorite activity was spike ball, and there were several nets for this game spread out around the field which were always occupied. Other popular activities included Can Jam, badminton, corn hole, kickball, football, and softball. Sophomore Francie Miller stated, “My favorite activity was playing corn hole with my friends because I don’t normally see them throughout the day.” Freshman Matt Ventola’s favorite activity was spike ball: “It brings a fun beach game to the school.” All of the games were enjoyed by students, with friendly competition occuring period after period.

There were also many foods for students to eat. Some people waited in line for burgers grilled by some of the peer leaders and Mr. Miller. Others enjoyed Animo, and Mr. Softee was also popular amongst students, for many individuals waited in a long line for ice cream or a milkshake. Along with the food, there were several booths set up along the track. Some booths included one with slime and one with orbis, which aided students to relax. Also, the club Bracelets for Change had a booth where string could be purchased, so students could make friendship bracelets. Additionally, the Haddonfield Police Department accompanied by their dog were present, inviting students to try on goggles which simulated what it would look like to be drunk, encouraging students to make good choices. The police dog was not the only animal present. There were other dogs and a bunny which many students were eager to hold.

Throughout the day, few students were on their phone. This was because the peer leaders encouraged students to turn in their phone in exchange for a ticket to enter in a raffle where they could earn a gift card to different stores downtown. Without the distraction of a phone or the stress of schoolwork, students were able to appreciate a school day where they could be active and spend time with their friends, benefiting both their physical and mental health. Thank you peer leaders for this successful day and your efforts in bettering our well-being.