Madrigals Dessert Theatre Recap

Izzy Miller, Editor

Haddonfield Memorial High School’s very own Madrigals have never failed to amaze the crowds. In the past, the immensely popular Madrigals have even performed at the White House and at Longwood Gardens. This year was no exception to that rule; with well-attended shows at Grace Church, the Brandywine River Museum of Art, and Tavistock Country Club, the Madrigals ended up having a very successful season.

Composed of 26 talented singers and actors, the Madrigals are a musical group that performs songs from the 15th century Renaissance era. They are led by HMHS teacher and coach Tyler Mills. The Madrigals’ signature colorful and authentic-looking costumes are inspired by the Renaissance era as well. In addition to singing “madrigals” and holiday songs, the Madrigals entertain their crowds by acting out amusing masques (dramatic plays) and serving delicious desserts. Rousing renditions of the Twelve Days of Christmas and toasts of wassail galvanize audiences.

This year, the Madrigals had three shows at Grace Church in December. Thanks to the kindness of the church, the Madrigals had ample space in which they could perform for community members, fellow students, parents, alumni, teachers, and more. The hall in which the performances were housed was festive and decorated with period-appropriate pieces. The original masque this year was funny and carried a powerful message: to always give women a choice in their lives. Turning out to be huge hits at both, the Madrigals also caroled at the high school and at Tavistock Country Club. On the last day before winter break, students packed the hallways and classrooms of HMHS to hear the Madrigals singing.

The Madrigals recently wrapped up their last performance of the year at the Brandywine River Museum of Art on December 22nd. However, even if you missed them this year, you can catch them next year with even more outstanding performances!