Student Council Officers Elected for the 2016-17 School Year

Izzy Miller, Arts and Leisure/Op-Ed Editor

Haddonfield Memorial’s Student Council, known by many for its enterprising efforts to bring more fun into the lives of all students at HMHS, is an integral part of the high school. Every year, countless popular events and initiatives are run by the Student Council. Without it, many highly anticipated events, such as Spirit Week, would not occur. As future student body president Joe Maccarone stated, the role of student council is “to facilitate a positive school environment.

To make this possible, its officers must have the necessary qualities to ensure the success of such a group. The annual elections, held on April 19 this year, ultimately ended with the election of five promising future officers for the 2016-2017 school year. While all candidates running were undoubtedly qualified, students voted for those they felt would best fit the positions available. As a result, Joe Maccarone, running unopposed, was elected president, Brogan Collins, running unopposed as well, was elected vice-president, and Sophie Maccarone, also running unopposed, was elected secretary. Both running against formidable competition, Meghan Smart and Matt Klammer ultimately garnered the votes to ensure their victories, Smart for the role of historian and Klammer for the role of treasurer.

That day’s assembly, held to allow students to choose between and get to know their future officers, began with short speeches by J. Maccarone and Collins. Following their introductions, potential candidates read their often humorous and emotional speeches aloud to the audience of students and teachers. Klammer, who professed to have a “natural instinct to save money”, supported that comment by relating an amusing anecdote about the lengths he was willing to go to do so, including walking 2.9 miles to buy a white shirt. S. Maccarone claimed to have twin telepathy with J. Maccarone, her twin, which, if true, will undoubtedly help the efficiency of the student council, while Smart related her family’s long history and deep roots in the town. After the conclusion of the speeches, students could then vote on Tally Space. The winners were announced the following day.

All of the future officers will certainly do a successful job of continuing and expanding upon the legacies of predecessors. Many of them possess prior experience with Haddonfield Memorial’s Student Council and all possess the leadership qualities necessary to have such a position. It remains until the start of the next school year to see how their ideas and talents can combine to run Student Council and make Haddonfield Memorial an even better place to be.