End to Freshman Orientation

Julia Bennett, Writing Staff

It was a bittersweet day on Wednesday, January 20th. It was the last session of Freshman Orientation. The relationships built during these sessions have been in the works since Freshman Orientation Day, the day before school began. From then on freshmen and Peer Leaders met every Wednesday to discuss common problems facing kids in high school, how to adjust to the new high school environment, and other fun and useful topics. One of the favorite and most useful lessons among freshmen was the time management lessons. Other fun classes included the Halloween class, in which the Peer Leaders put on a scavenger hunt for the freshmen complete with scary poems and candy.  One freshman, Natalie Naticchia said that Freshman Orientation “really helped [me] adjust to the new environment and the new people. It was a good break from the day to get advice, talk, and be aware of the events going on in the school.” Another freshman, RJ Mroz believed that Freshman Orientation led to an “increase in [my] ability to communicate [my] peers and smoothed the transition from the middle school to the high school.” As one Peer Leader summed it up, “the end of freshman orientation is a bittersweet moment but I’m confident that everyone involved took a lot out of the experience.”