Halloween Dance 2015 Recap

Julia Mroz, Editor

HMHS students returned to school at 7:00 P.M. for the annual Fright Night Dance. Students gathered to celebrate Halloween and showed creativity with their costume choices. Kelly Piserchia, a junior, was especially impressed with students’ creativity and “liked seeing everyone’s costumes.”  Popular costumes included S.W.A.T team members, black cats, lumberjacks and basketball players. Students from various grades were able to mingle and dance until 9:30 P.M.

Although the dance was supposed to be held in the courtyard, at student request it was moved to the B gym. A few hours before the dance, HMHS faculty responded to student calls to change the dance location and issued the following tweet: Students: we hear you. The dance is moved to the B gym. Keep in mind the original dance was held outside. Nevertheless we will see you there.

Many students were pleased with the facultys receptiveness and willingness to change the dance location, but some people wished that the celebration had been held outside, so that they could have enjoyed the unseasonably mild weather. The B gym and the cafeteria were decorated in black and orange, bats hung from the ceiling and pumpkins adorned the walls. Parent and teacher volunteers chaperoned the event and provided a plethora of snacks and drinks for students.

Tory Yost, a junior had a blast at the dance saying: “[the] vibes were good”. Students appreciated DJ Erics music. Senior Rebecca Otto said it was a memorable event and a great last Halloween dance for the seniors. While seniors celebrated their last HMHS Halloween dance, the freshmen got to experience their first ever HMHS dance.

In addition to sporting costumes, many HMHS students, especially upper class men, came wearing red Cs in remembrance of HMHSs own, Colin Hough. The day of the dance marked the one year anniversary of Colins passing.

RJ Mroz a freshman stated, I had a great time at the Halloween dance and I am excited for the next dance!. RJ, and other students excited for another HMHS dance, are in luck because the next dance is right around the corner. Students will gather again in the B gym during Spirit Week for the Spirit Week Dance on November 19th from seven to nine-thirty in the evening. The Spirit Week Dance also helps classes with their Spirit Week points, as points are awarded to each class for attendance.