Fall Movie Preview

Antony Post, Staff Writer

Fall is my favorite season of the year. The weather is manageable, holiday season is in full effect, and usually, the best movies of the year are released. This year promises some truly fantastic pictures so here are the 11 movies you can not miss this fall.

Starting out the fall is the highly anticipated adaptation of the Stephen King novel It. Set in Derry, Maine, seven kids’ lives are threatened when a killer clown named Pennywise is after them to feast on their fears. Having seen the film already, I can say that this is one of the top five best films of the year and definitely one you should check out. This film is rated R and is now playing in theaters.

After the success of 2015’s British spy comedy, the whole team is back together in Kingsman: The Golden Circle. In this installment, after the Kingsmen are almost obliterated by the latest villain named Poppy, her cannibalistic nature is forcing the Kingsmen to join their brothers across the pond, the Statesman, to take her down. Expect great, stylized action along with a smart wit just like the first one. This film is rated R and will be released in theaters on September 22.

It’s been 35 years since Ridley Scott first introduced the world to Replicants, but director Denis Villeneuve is returning us all to the future in Blade Runner: 2049. Starring Ryan Gosling (La La Land) and Harrison Ford (Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Blade Runner), this science fiction adventure should bring the thrills and the themes that the first classic had. This film is rated R and will be released in theaters on October 6.

The 17th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe may seem like oversaturation for the superhero franchise, but Thor: Ragnarok does not want you to think that. Set after the events of Avengers: Age of Ultron, Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Loki (Tom Hiddleston), and The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) have to stop the Goddess of Death, Hela (Cate Blanchett), before she destroys Thor’s home, Asgard, for good. Featuring an all-star cast including Jeff Goldblum (Jurassic Park, Independence Day), Tessa Thompson (Creed), and Benedict Cumberbatch (Doctor Strange), this is one superhero adventure you do not want to miss. This film is rated PG-13 and will be released in theaters on November 3.

Many may know Kenneth Branagh from his work in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets as Professor Gilderoy Lockhart. However, you cannot miss him starring and directing this adaptation of the classic Agatha Christie mystery Murder on the Orient Express. Set on a train, when a man mysteriously is murdered, it’s up to Hercule Poirot to solve the mystery. With a fantastic supporting cast of Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Caribbean), Josh Gad (Beauty and the Beast, Frozen), and Daisy Ridley (Star Wars: The Force Awakens), this is one film you should definitely check out. This film is rated PG-13 and will be released in theaters on November 10.

After 57 years, Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman finally team up in the superhero extravaganza Justice League. Set after the events of Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, Superman has died, and when a new villain named Steppenwolf threatens to destroy the world,   Bruce Wayne and Diana Prince assemble the titular group including supporting characters like The Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg. Sure to bring the action packed fight scenes, and hopefully keeping up with the quality of June’s Wonder Woman, this is one blockbuster that you do not want to miss. This film is rated PG-13 and will be released in theaters on November 17.

Many of you have probably read this book in elementary school. Well, Julia Roberts (Pretty Woman), Owen Wilson (Cars), and Jacob Tremblay (Room) star in this adaptation of the novel Wonder. This movie will follow the story of a boy with facial differences as he tries to manage his way through the fifth grade. Expect to see a heart touching story about inclusion and friendship just in time for the holiday season. This film is rated PG and will be released in theaters on November 17.

Pixar was once the king of animated films. But recent affairs like Cars 3 and The Good Dinosaur have tarnished their once crowning name. However, hopefully their latest film, Coco, captures some of that original gold that was in their earlier works. Set in Mexico, it follows a young boy who on the country’s Day of the Dead celebration, he travels to the land of the dead and meets his ancestors, as they teach him about the importance of family while trying to get him home. This film is rated PG and will be released in theaters on November 22.

After the immense success of 2015’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens, the Episode VIII in this popular franchise is finally hitting theaters with Star Wars: The Last Jedi. After Rey’s adventure in Episode VII, she trains under Luke Skywalker to become a Jedi so she can take down Kylo Ren after the tarnish he has done to the galaxy. After Carrie Fisher tragic passing last December, expect the entire movie going community to go out and support her final film. This film is Rated PG-13 and will be released in theaters on December 15.

Now, what movie could possibly think it could take on Star Wars? Pitch Perfect 3 does, as the final film in now the Pitch Perfect trilogy hits theaters the weekend after, Following the Barden Bellas after all graduating from Barden, Beca, Chloe, Aubrey, and Fat Amy try one last gig together before they go on with the rest of their lives. Expect the same fun music comedy that has been present in the first two entries. This film is rated PG-13 and will be released in theaters on December 22.

Last year, the big award season picture was the movie musical La La Land. Well this year, after winning an Academy Award for La La Land and a Tony Award for Dear Evan Hansen, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul have composed new songs for the next big movie musical The Greatest Showman. Starring Hugh Jackman (X-Men), Zac Efron (High School Musical), and Zendaya (Shake it Up), Jackman plays P.T. Barnum, the man who coined the term show business and came up with the first circus. Expect this to become a musical sensation throughout awards season. This film is rated PG-13 and will be released in theaters on December 25.