The Truth: Freshmen on Their Transition to High School

Natalie Naticchia, Staff Writer

We all have been there. Rushing to get to your classes on the first day of freshman year. Being a freshman is hard, yet rewarding. Everything is new, and you are introduced to a wide range of opportunity. I asked freshman about their experience transitioning from the middle school, and most of them had a positive response. Chrissy Stanton described the first couple days of high school as being “nerve wracking at first, but it got better and now I love it”. Chloe Carpenter thought that “after she got lost a couple times, finding her way became really easy and now she enjoys the freedom”. Both Chrissy and Chloe, along with Alison Talty and Regan Mink expressed that the peer mentor program made their transition a lot smoother, and that the tours through the peer leader program over the summer allowed them to grasp their bearings. Kyle Garstkiewicz also enjoyed his transition into high school. He described it as being “positive, and very fun…but a huge difference”. The similarity between these three freshman is that they all participated in a fall activity, such as a sport, or a club, which allowed them to make friends in the high school over the summer. It gave them all an opportunity to bond with upperclassmen, see teachers/coaches, and get an initial taste of high school. Although the response is overwhelmingly positive, this transition can be a stressful time. Be sure to be a friendly face in the hall, and always willing to help freshman in need!