Midterm Tips

Molly Parks, Staff Writer

Not sure how you will be able to survive this round of midterms? Take a look at these tips approved by HMHS students and teachers to increase your confidence.

The Earlier, the Better. Procrastination is not a good plan for studying for an exam covering a semester of the school year, or for any assessment, rather. “Starting to study more than a week before the midterm is key to doing well,” says sophomore Eric DeCoursey. Waiting until the day before to study can take a huge mental toll on a student. According to the Procrastination Research Group at Carleton University, procrastination “causes anxiety and drops in success, which can lead to long term problems”.

Pace to Ace. Sophomore Nick Palmer suggests pacing your study time and “not studying everything at once and leaving time for study breaks”. Whether you are taking a break for a sandwich or a break for a whole day, study breaks always help you process information rather than having a overload.

Strengthen Your Weaknesses. Senior Helen Chung has learned over her four years of finals to “know what your weakest subject are, and focus on those”. If you are having trouble deciding how much time to devote to studying each subject… check Genesis! Your lowest grades should, generally, be the classes you are allocating the most study time to.

Re-Write A Condensed Version of Class Notes. As a junior, HMHS student Jillian Dembs has taken 2 rounds of midterms and finals already. Jillian finds “boiling down [her] notes to the topics on the study guide” very helpful. When looking over 5 months of notes, it is normal to feel overwhelmed. Condensing that information into important facts or concepts, can help you grasp it easier. Re-writing what you already wrote can also help your brain retain the information easily.

Look Over Tests. “If your teachers let you look over your old tests during class periods, that is a huge gift,” says sophomore Tristan Laperriere. Look at the questions you mostly answered incorrectly and study those topics. Also, look for a trend in the types of questions you struggled with and practice some more of them while studying.

Better Together. Dembs also suggests “studying with friends once you are confident in most of the material”.  Friends and classmates can help you catch something important you may have missed. Also, If you are confused on a concept or question on the review packet, consulting with others can help you gain that sense of clarity.

Sleep and Eat to Compete. “Getting a good night’s sleep and eating healthy breakfast helps students concentrate better and feel better for a long exam” says junior English teacher Mrs. Welsh. Nationwidechildrens.org suggests “students should sleep for at least 9 hours” to test to the best of their abilities. Also, a healthy breakfast sets the tone for a good day and makes sure you do not feel hungry or sick during midterms.

Midterm Tips